Thursday, April 8, 2010

Suspected...and Now Confirmed

So I officially have diabetes. It was suspected since 2 summers ago when I went in for my one year check after having Emily. The sugars came back high, but unknown to me at the time, I was already pregnant with Owen. So...I went through gestational diabetes for a second time, was introduced to the world of insulin injections, and kept my fingers crossed it would go away after I had the little guy.


Well, it hasn't. I am unfortunately one of the women who develop type 2 diabetes after having gestational diabetes. It's a lifelong diagnosis, which is disappointing and makes me sad, but it is something I can control. Now, with my doctor's advice, some medicine, and much support from my family and friends, I'm trying to get my sugars under control. Step one is definitely losing all the weight I've put on since meeting (and getting TOO comfortable with) Dan. Step two is taking some medication to help lower my sugars. And step three is saying goodbye (or at least see you later) to some of my favorite sugar-laden and carb packed foods.

I used to do really well with controlling things when I was pregnant because I knew I had to do it for the little peanut growing inside of me. I don't take care of myself as well now that it's just me. But, I'm trying to look at it differently: my kids need me around, so I need to do what I can to ensure that I stay healthy so I can be around for as long as possible.

0 comments: