Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Something's Fishy

We headed to Fort Fisher on Monday to take Emily to the aquarium. While it's not as big as the aquarium in Baltimore, it is really nice and the perfect size for a 2-year-old with a limited attention span. We decided to drive rather than take the ferry, and the trip started out well. By the time we got there, Owen had to eat. There was a group of picnic benches at the edge of the woods where we parked, and I figured that would be the perfect place to feed him before going into the aquarium. Well, within a minute, I was itchy. At first, I couldn't figure out what was happening. Then I saw them: an army of little black bugs attacking me. Dan tried to swat them off of me as best he could, but we were sorely outnumbered. I packed up and retreated...we finished the feeding inside the aquarium. The damage? I had at least 15 bites on my legs, arms, and feet. Dan and the kids? Kids = zero. Dan had one, and I'm pretty sure that was just because the bug he was swatting got confused and bit him by mistake. I must just be extra tasty!


Emily by the alligator. They had an albino alligator there, which was pretty cool. Alligators live in North Carolina's lakes, ponds, and rivers, which is just one more reason why I will never swim in these bodies of water.

If you look closely, you can see a fish with a long snout off to the right of Emily.

Emily was busy pointing something out while we cheesed for the camera. This aquarium also had a touch pool, and Emily had the chance to touch a horseshoe crab. She was more interested in trying to splash in the water, though. She also loved the box turtles...there were so many of them, and they were super active right behind a bench we were on.

Owen and Dan hamming it up for the camera. I took a second to pose with Owen as well, but the bugs were back and gearing up for another attack, so as soon as these pictures were snapped, I booked it out of there!
I missed our turn on the way home, and as a result, we took a little tour of Wilmington. For anyone considering college, UNC Wilmington looked very pretty :)

0 comments: