Friday, August 7, 2009

Movin' On Up...

...at least for a year! This week has been crazy, but it's ended with me having a position as a guidance counselor for the 2009/2010 school year! I'm still going to be at South Western; one of our counselors is taking a maternity leave next year. I had applied for the position but had little hope. I figured they wouldn't consider me since it would mean finding an English teacher to take my spot. So, I applied to other schools. Lots of them. Unfortunately, my experience means I'm expensive, so I wasn't hearing from any of them. Then, I suddenly had two interviews scheduled for the same day last week...one at South Western, and one at Red Lion Jr. High School. The Red Lion position was a permanent position, but I wasn't sure about doing 7th and 8th grade. Still, I went into both interviews hoping for the best.

South Western scheduled a 2nd interview for this past Wednesday. Meanwhile, I learned from my assistant superintendent that Red Lion had called checking references, and she thought they sounded very interested. Now I had a new dilemma...if both offered the job, which would I take? I thought at first I'd take the Red Lion position - it was permanent. But, I liked the idea of being at the school where I knew everyone, plus it was high school. In the end, I called Red Lion before my second interview at SWHS, and I was told that it was basically my salary that was holding up the offer. I did my interview, and within 45 minutes I had a call from my principal. I talked to Dan, dad, and mom, trying to sort out what to do. The next morning I accepted the position at South Western. I feel good about it, although of course the next day (today) Red Lion called with their offer. Still, I'm excited to get the experience, and a little part of me hopes the girl I'm going in for likes staying home so much, she chooses to stay home permanently :)

The only thing that doesn't have me excited is that I have to leave Owen after next week. I'm finding it harder than I thought to think of him in daycare. I like the teachers in the infant room, I know he'll be well taken care of. But he's my baby, and according to Dan (and I mostly agree), he's our last, so it's tough to know that he's not my newborn little baby anymore.

0 comments: