Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Appointments, appointments

Yesterday was my day of appointments. First, I had a meeting with my diabetes counselor and dietician. The counselor went over everything I remembered from last time - how to use my meter, how to code it, how to check it every week, etc. She also reinforced all the terrible things that may befall both me and Baby Bilodeau if I don't get a handle on my blood sugars. The dietician was more positive, and she helped me set up an eating plan that limits my carbs and sugars. I left feeling pretty good about using diet to control my numbers (rather than insulin or other medication). However, after three high readings today, I'm not so positive. Actually, I'm rather annoyed. I followed my food plan. I wrote in my food diary. I'm not ingesting more carbs than my allowance. So why the high numbers? Guess we'll find out when I email numbers and food diaries to my counselor Monday morning.

After that appointment, I went to my regular baby doctor appointment. I got to have both my favorite nurse and my favorite doctor (okay, technically she's a certified midwife), so that perked up my day. We discussed labor. As in, did I want to try for a normal, vaginal labor, or did I want to go straight to another c-section. Um, another c-section, please! I know not everyone will understand this decision, but after the horrific time I had with Emily and the relatively easy recovery I had from the c-section, it was a no brainer for me. Plus, the gestational diabetes complicates things even more, making my chance of actually being sucessful at delivering a baby vaginally unlikely. The c-section will be scheduled no sooner than April 3rd, unless Maternal Fetal Medicine thinks there's an issue, and I need to deliver early. My only goal? Not going into labor before that. She took my weight (down about 11 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight thanks to all the "morning" sickness) and my blood pressure (excellent). Then my favorite part: the heartbeat. Baby's heart was beating nice and strong, the rate was somewhere in the 150's (which I happily noted was right about where Emily's was when she was in there).

My next appointments don't happen until mid-November. An ultrasound is scheduled for 11/18 where I'm hoping I'll find out if Baby Bilodeau is a boy or a girl. Then, I go back to my regular doctor on 11/20.

0 comments: