Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sugar, Sugar Everywhere (But Not a Drop for Me)

After having gestational diabetes with Emily, I knew the chances of me getting it again were good. What I didn't count on was having issues this early in pregnancy. My sugars were tested this summer since it was recommended that I do a follow-up test one year after having Emily. They came back high. My family doctor was running more tests to determine if I'd developed Type II diabetes when I found out I was pregnant again. The tests were now invalid. However, my OB wanted me to keep a record of my blood sugars for a few days. Once again, I carted my handy little device with me everywhere and endured four needle sticks a day. The result? I had high numbers almost every time.

Yesterday I had an NT scan, which was new to me this time around. But, since it was an excuse to see the baby in there, I happily took the day off work and headed into Maternal Fetal Medicine. My grin was quickly wiped away, however, when they let it slip that my OB had already contacted them about suspected diabetes...I was now being labled as a "high risk" pregnancy. While it could mean ultrasounds every four weeks (which is a good thing, since I love seeing a baby in there moving, kicking, punching), it also means some not pleasant things. The first is a three hour glucose tolerance test scheduled for October 11th. I had to take this the first time around after I failed my one hour test, and it is torture. Because I don't process the sugars in the orange drink correctly, it ends up making me feel terrible. Last time I swung from extreme nausea (and if you throw up, you have to do it over again) to extreme fatigue. I also alternated between excessive sweating and chills; it basically felt like I was going to die for those few hours. Thankfully, the good people at Westgate Lab set me up in a private room with a cot so I could suffer without the stares of all the elderly waiting to get their weekly labwork.

Anyway, the gestational diabetes is usually diagnosed after week 28 in a pregnancy. That means I had to cut out carbs and sugars (two of my most favorite things) for only about 10 weeks last time. It was still tough, don't get me wrong, but I knew there was an end in sight. Now it is looking like I'll have to say goodbye to plates teeming with pasta, bread, and cake for an indefinite amount of time, and that is making me very nervous and sad. While I know I shouldn't, I am secretly having a goodbye party for the next week and a half, where I bake and cook everything I already have that I won't be able to resist after the test results come in. Tonight's guest of honor: Pillsbury FunFetti cake...highly recommended!




1 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. It doesn't sound like fun at all so I hope this time the testing goes better for you than it did last time.