Friday, March 13, 2009

One Week Left (Maybe)

I woke up this morning thinking, "Wow! One week from right now, I'll be getting ready to go to the hospital and meet our little guy!" But, after a visit to my friendly OB/GYN, that may not be totally true. When Maternal Fetal Medicine scheduled my amnio on 3/19, they told me I'd have the c-section on 3/20 as long as the lungs were mature. However, they didn't pass that information on to my doctor; I told the doctor about a week later. When the doctor's office tried to schedule my c-section for 3/20, they told the hospital that I would need the first slot of the day since I'm insulin dependent. Problem: a woman was already scheduled in that slot. My doctor told me not to worry, they would bump her back since my complications trumped her normal delivery.

Cut to today: the nurse at the desk when I was checking out asked if I'd gotten all the information I needed for my surgery. I told her no, so she began looking for the time I was scheduled. It wasn't written on my chart, so she made a quick call to the hospital to find out. I am scheduled to have my surgery at 1:00 P.M.! That is obviously not going to work for two reasons: first, I can't go without food for an entire day due to my sugars being so up and down, and second, I can't take my insulin and not eat at all. The hosptial's suggestion: I come in early Friday morning and they will monitor my sugars there, hooking me up to IV meds if I show signs of going too low or too high. To me, that seems like torture! Not only will I feel desperately sick (ask Dan what it's like when my sugars drop way too low), but I don't want to be hooked up all day, unable to do anything, and just wait.

So...we are now waiting for my doctor to try to straighten the entire mess out. However, she's not in until Monday, so I won't know until my Tuesday appointment what is going on. Will they bump the 8:00 girl? Will I still have to go at 1:00? Will my day get changed altogether? At this point, your guess is as good as mine.

On a much better note, we ordered a double stroller Tuesday evening, and yesterday when I got home from work, it was at our house! I HIGHLY recommend Albee Baby for any baby gear purchases (car seats, strollers, etc.). My dad and Shirley were nice enough to get this for us...here's a picture:

Now I have to hope that Dan can figure out how to put it together! Carly put our original stroller together for my shower last time, so we've never had to figure this out before. Our weekend is also full of last minute things to get ready: there are cupboards to clean out, bottles to sterilize, a pack and play to set up, curtains to be hung, and car seat bases to be installed. Still, with a week to go, I know we'll have everything ready for when we bring the baby home!

0 comments: